As most people know, Dan's quite the "foodie". He loves to cook, talk about cooking, read about chefs and restaurants, make dinner for friends, etc. Recently he's been reading this book called It Must've Been Something I Ate, which describes this great little veggie/fruit stand about a half-hour north of San Diego. Apparently it's the best family owed farm in the United States and they only sell out of their stand. And so, we decided to go on a little road-trip to investigate!
We left this morning and decided to take the dog with us (that was my idea). I wanted him to be part of this great Friedman Family Adventure! We wanted to leave around 9:00am but we didn't get on the road until after 11:00. It took us a couple of hours to drive down there - I really enjoyed the view of the ocean as we got closer to San Diego and Clutch loved sniffing out all the new smells at the rest stop.
When we finally arrived at this little stand, we were amazed by the aroma of all the fresh veggies! Everything looked perfectly ripe and delicious - there were at least five varieties of everything they had. I picked out a bit of everything, including the sweetest strawberries I've ever tasted!
After we finished our shopping, we headed back to this park a few miles down the road, which we had seen on our way in. Turns out, it's the greatest park ever - I mean it! It's huge and has picnic tables and play equipment and gazebos, and well, everything. We walked Clutch around and snacked on all our fresh goodies.
Dan, Clutch, and I agreed that although the three varieties of carrots were tasty and the strange little red and white berries interesting, the strawberries were our favorite - I don't think I've tasted anything so sweet and juicy...we even fought over the last few in the basket.
After a little relaxation in the park, we set out to return home. The drive home always feels so much longer than the drive there - I don't know why this is - but I think even Clutch could feel it - he too got a little stir crazy during those last few miles of rush hour heading into down town. Anyways, we plan to head down again at the end of June when all the summer berries and melons are in season (apparently, they sell up to sixty varieties of melon during the summer)!

3 comments:
I loved the pics! They made me feel like I was right there. Wish I was....instead, I took a different trip....a fieldtrip. Now I'm tired and never want to do another one again.
Hi Jen, it must be nice to have a Spring Break with no rain. Your adventure to the veggie and fruit mart looks great. Too bad Dan's not going to be home when Im down. He could have cooked me up a storm. Talk Later
love Mom
Yummy stuff! And I bet Clutch was happy to be along for the ride!
Post a Comment