Thursday, January 03, 2008

Too good to keep a secret!

OK...I've been thinking. I've decided to share my seafood soup recipe with the world because it's so good. It was passed down to me from a parent at my school who was trained as a chef. I encourage everyone to try it out, you won't be disappointed!

Ingredients:
3 tab. olive oil (I'd use a little more)
2 small yellow onions
2 cups diced white potatoes (I use Yukon Gold)
1 large bulb fennel, diced
2 teas. kosher salt
1 teas. black pepper
2 cups dry white wine
1 28 oz. can plum tomatoes chopped
1 quart of seafood stock or fish stalk (2 cups clam juice and 2 cups water works too)
3 - 5 garlic cloves minced
1 teas. saffron threads
1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 pound halibut cut in large chunks (I leave this out if I can't find it)
1 pound sea bass cut in chunks
24+ mussels, cleaned
1 teas. grated orange zest

1. Heat oil in dutch oven, add onions, potatoes, fennel, salt and pepper over medium heat for 15+ min until onions begin to brown.
2. Add wine, tomatoes, stock, garlic, and saffron. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
4. Add fish and mussels. Bring to a boil then lower the heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Turn off heat, add shrimp, and let pot sit covered for another 5 minutes.
6. Discard any mussels that aren't opened. Stir in orange zest.

1 comment:

Jason & Priscilla said...

Yummmy!!!! This sounds so good! If I ever want to send Jason into anaphalactic shock, I'll cook up this yummy goodness.