Monday, December 28, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

Last Sunday, I headed to Vancouver to spend Christmas with my family. From the moment Mom and Dad greet me at the airport to the time we have to say goodbye, we laugh, share, eat, visit, discuss, and really just enjoy our time together. Of course, there were coffee clubs, happy hours, wine & cheeses, turkey, haggis, blood sausage, Christmas pudding, hard sauce, Christmas music, and trust-me-coffees. This year, we added a new element...Rummoli, it was awesome!


The Christmas tree this year, was huge! Mom and Dad had it up and ready so that we could decorate it together the first night. Mom, Dad, Soph, and I had a lot of fun selecting and hanging ornaments and remembering where each one came from. (Mom usually writes down the year and place of origin on the back of each ornament.)



Dan arrived in town on the 23rd, and that night we all hosted a little wine & cheese. Dad and I had a lot of fun the day before, picking out the wines and cheeses. It was absolutely wonderful catching up with some family and friends. It was great seeing my cousin, Lisa, and my friend, Jessica, who looked beautiful with their baby bumps...Congratulations to Lisa on the arrival of Baby Cash (2 days later) on Christmas day!


Although the first two days home were pretty rainy, the rest of the week was beautiful (after the fog lifted). Mom, Dan, and I were able to take the dogs for a walk on the dike and take in the beautiful views.


We also got to spend a lot of time playing with Katie and Bruno this trip who were both so adorable, as usual!



On Christmas Eve, Mom & Dan cooked up a special dinner (and a family favorite) of oysters! (Dad and I picked up the oysters at Bruce's market a couple of days before (and also sampled some of their smoked salmon nuggets...delish!).


Now, if you've read past December posts, then you know we don't do a regular turkey on Christmas day...We do a rolled one! It's quite a process and begins with Dad deboning the turkey. The turkey then gets stuffed, rolled, tied, oiled, and herbed. When it comes out of the oven it's quite a sight.




Papa, Grandma, and Grandpa joined the six of us for Christmas dinner this year. It was a great chance to catch up and just be together.



For the first time EVER, I was in charge of of brandy-ing and lighting the Christmas pudding...I might have gotten a little carried away, but it turned out beautifully and definitely burned longer than any one I can remember!




What would Christmas be without haggis? On Boxing Day we cooked up a little haggis (which later made its way into Dan's turkey sandwiches).


While we were home, we also got to check out Mom and Dad's new project...a 1954 GMC! Can't wait to take a ride in it when it's all done!


Eight days flew by and I can't believe that 2009 is nearly over. Dan and I head to the Grand Canyon in a few days with five other friends (including Priscilly!) to bring in 2010!! Wishing everyone a bright and beautiful new year!

{I plan to post just a few more pictures from Mom's camera on Christmas Day...there are some cute mustache shots!}

No comments: